Henry's home is 1.5 stories and built in an irregular pattern. Julius married Emelie's niece, Lina Lambach, in 1899 and they had a son. Bozeman’s Brewery Historic District sits along the 700-800 blocks of North Wallace Avenue. The family has always been active in local civic affairs.Julius sold his brewery in Iowa and moved to Bozeman in March 1895, bringing his extended family and a crew of experienced brewers with him. Under Julius' direction, the brewery was operating by the end of the year. He bought the Spieth and Krug Brewery that same year, moved it to the north end of town, and renamed it the Bozeman Brewery. This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Gallatin County, Montana.. Built in Queene Anne style, it has Douglas-fir flooring, a corner tower, gables, overhangs, and large windows. Julius Lehrkind was a German immigrant who stowed away on a ship at age 17 in 1860 to avoid the German draft. 1908 at 707 N. Wallace, is a one-and-one-half- story, clapboard-sided residence of an irregular plan with a cut-away corner entry. When prohibition was repealed in 1932, Edwin Lehrkind revived the brewery business for a short time under the label of "Old Faithful". The Lehrkind Mansion has BB pellets in the walls because Julius and his grandson used to hunt mice with BB guns. The Bozeman Brewery Historic District, located in Bozeman, Montana, at 700–800 N. Wallace Avenue, consists of five structures, all still closely connected to the Julius Lehrkind family and their Bozeman Brewery business. He died several years later. Lehrkind and his brother, Fred, were brewers who immigrated to America from Germany. During Prohibition, the Lehrkinds ran the Lehrkind Coal and Pure Ice Company out of the building. Beer manufacturing began in Montana Territory in 1863. Already having served as a brewmaster's apprentice, Lehrkind easily found employment. Since the closure of the brewery after the passage of prohibition in Montana in 1919, the three-bay, eastern portion of the building with the attached malting house has been demolished, and new entrances have been cut into the remaining bays. Discover and book hotels, restaurants and local experiences in 50,000 destinations worldwide. The brewery, bottling plant, and attendant residences recall the Old World family business traditions Julius Lehrkind carried to Montana and passed to two generations. Copyright (c) 2020 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Fred married Emelie's sister, Bertha, and had four children. The brewery went out of business when Prohibition came in 1919, but the Coca-Cola business in still in operation as Lehrkind's Coca-Cola Bottling. The building was later used as a creamery and music recording studio.The brewery building was built with brick and concrete and has window frames made of sandstone and wood. Julius chose Bozeman for its excellent water and the ready availability of a large supply of barley, grown by a group of Dutch farmers in nearby Manhattan, Montana. Founded in 2001 on the edge of the town’s historic Brewery District, our tap room serves a robust list of seasonal ales, lagers, and sour brews. To the south of the Julius Lehrkind House are the residences constructed by Lehrkind's nephew, Henry, and son, Edwin. The Bozeman Brewery Historic District, located in Bozeman, Montana, at 700–800 N. Wallace Avenue, consists of five structures, all still closely connected to the Julius Lehrkind family and their Bozeman Brewery business. The district is significant as a representation of a historic brewing complex (demolished in 2014) which incorporated the new technology of refrigeration in the brewing process. As brewing technology improved and world lager production tripled, the Bozeman Brewery prospered turning out 40,000 barrels of beer annually and distributing malted barley to breweries statewide. Now somewhat less of a historic district, the Bozeman Brewery Historic District has recently lost its brewery building, or what was left of it. There he married Emelie Lambach and had six children. At other times it has been a motorcycle repair shop, antique shop, apartment building, and band rehearsal studio. In 1868 he inherited some money from his father and moved to Davenport, Iowa, to open a brewery with his brother, Fred, who had come to America with him. Fred and Bertha died young, so Julius and Emelie took charge of their children. Julius built his Queen Anne style residence in 1898, and his nephew and son followed suit building their own modest homes adjacent to the family mansion in 1908 and 1912. The Lehrkind Mansion is now a bed and breakfast, for the second time. On the west side of the building remains an old painted sign advertising "Pure Ice Co. Coal Wood", the sign partially overwritten by "Coca Cola". Built by Julius Lehrkind in 1895 across the street from the still standing bottling plant, the brewery was in operation until the passage of prohibition in Montana in 1919. Willson also designed Eagle's Store in West Yellowstone, Montana, which is also on the National Register of Historic Places.Lehrkind also opened a brewery in Silesia, Montana, in 1899 and the Red Lodge Brewery, its product marketed as "Montana Bud", in Red Lodge, Montana, in 1910.When the Lehrkind Mansion was first built, there was only one bathroom for the 13 family members and one servant. Three wells underneath the building—one as deep as 200ft—served as a water source. The remains of the brewery, a four-story brick structure, stand at the north end of the district. Brewery Historic District - Bozeman, MT - Montana Historical Markers on Waymarking.com, Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point. Triposo works offline so you can wander freely. The Julius Lehrkind House, a two-and-one-half-story Queen Anne residence, built in 1898 at 710 N. Wallace, forms the central focus of the district today. The Bozeman Brewery building, built in 1895 at 803 N. Wallace, was the largest building in Bozeman until the construction of the Montana State University Field House in 1957. In 1925, Julius' grandson Carl built the bottling plant across the street from the brewery, bottling soft drinks. The three houses, in a line south of East Aspen Street, were built on the same side of Wallace Avenue as the brewery building, with the bottling plant across Wallace Avenue on the east side. The porch has arched wooden detailing and a decorative balustrade. The location was chosen for its proximity to the Northern Pacific Railway train depot. The brewery was often referred to as "Lehrkind's Genuine Lager Brewery". The Coca-Cola bottling plant was designed by Fred F. Willson, who was told to build it as cheaply as possible. The historic district is composed of five historic buildings that are directly associated with the Julius Lehrkind family and the family-owned and -operated Bozeman Brewery business. High quality water and plentiful barley grown by Dutch settlers near Manhattan brought his large extended family and crew of brewery workers to Bozeman in 1895. The brewery was the largest building in Bozeman until 1957, when the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse opened at Montana State University. Lehrkind and his brother, Fred, were brewers who immigrated to America from Germany. Soon after opening his own brewery in 1895, Lehrkind also entered the soft drink business, making sarsaparilla and lemon soda. This attempt was short lived, the brewery facility then continuing in use as an ice plant, warehouse, creamery and other enterprises. The Bozeman Brewery Historic District is composed of five historic buildings that are directly associated with the Julius Lehrkind family and the family-owned and -operated Bozeman Brewery business. After the bottling plant was closed the business was used as a retail outlet, selling ice, coal and wood. The five structures in this historic district are:# the remains of the four-story brick brewery (1895)# the Julius Lehrkind Mansion in Queen Anne style architecture (1897)# the home of nephew Henry Lehrkind in clapboard style (c. 1908)# the home of son Edwin Lehrkind in bungalow style (1912)# a one-story brick bottling plant (1925)The three homes are in one compound at the southern end of the historic district. The Julius Lehrkind Mansion is listed as the primary structure and the other four as contributing structures. The remains of the brewery, a four-story brick structure, stand at the north end of the district. Lehrkind and his brother, Fred, were brewers who immigrated to America from Germany. Eight years later, a sizable inheritance enabled Julius and his brother, Fred, to establish their own brewery in Davenport, Iowa. Prohibition, however, curtailed brewing operations in 1919 and was said to have broken Julius' heart. Much of the building was demolished with the advent of Prohibition. From the NRHP Nomination Form, Seventeen-year-old Julius Lehrkind fled compulsory service in the German militia by stowing away on a ship bound for America in 1860. Julius died in 1922. When both Fred and his wife died unexpectedly, Julius added their four children to his own six, sold the Iowa brewery, and headed for Montana. The Edwin Lehrkind House, at 701 N. Wallace, was constructed in 1912. The two industrial structures, at the northern end, are located across the street from one another.